Saturday, January 3, 2009

From Sister

For those of you who followed my India blog, you're maybe wondering why you haven't heard from me on this blog. If you asked G it would be that I am completely and totally voiceless without her in this country or any other that doesn't speak English. And I suppose it is true that I am no good at learning even the few basic phrases beyond obrigada... and somehow I am even worse at acting out what I want or need. But really it is just nice to have someone else take care of you all the time, even they start to resent it after two weeks! Ahem ... What we have found funny though is that a lot of folks we encountered in transit and here in Brasil assume that I am the Brasilian girl of the two of us (no one believes we are sisters). But because I never speak, we also assume they think I am a Brasilian mute. Which is fine by me. This has been a great trip - I needed the warmth of the sun and the ability to walk outside in just one layer (sometimes even less than a layer) but I am ready to come home, though, because I miss my dog something fierce and I also miss the quiet solitude of my tiny little house. I also miss nice glasses of wine served at room temperature, and coffee that doesn't need to be diluted with milk and sugar to make it somewhat palatable. And, though I hate to admit it, I do miss communicating with other folks just a wee bit. Over and out. Kristie

No comments:

Post a Comment