Friday, January 2, 2009

Catch Up!

The subway station near our hotel was closed yesterday. So we couldn´t use the Internet since the ´cyber´ is located in the station. But here I am, back to update you on all our New Years Eve happenings. According to all Brasilians we experienced the biggest New Years Eve party in the world. I will admit that it felt big. There were people everywhere. All dressed in white. A celebration of peace. And drunkeness.



Sister was a cheap date. Two caipirinhas and she was set! I will admit the woman pouring the drinks was a stellar drink maker and drinks whose only ingredients include lime, sugar and booze tend to be stronger than most. It was a fun night though. Partying with 3 million other happy folks with wishes for peace in the new year.

Because I have a reputation to uphold I cannot/will not reveal all of the evening´s antics but we had a wonderful time despite the fact that I was toasted a lovely reddish purple by the sun that day.

I used old sunscreen and much to my discomfort sunscreen really doesn´t work when it is old. So places that haven´t seen the sun since the last time I was in Brasil are now quite sore. But a day at Copacabana Beach was worth it. I think I could people watch for an eternity and not grow tired.

The sweet vendors who rented us beach chairs, an umbrella and brought us beers as needed were just one source of entertainment. They love their jobs. They dance to the music in the background, take dips in the ocean, defend their turf and smile. The kids, covered in sand, running back and forth, begging their parents to buy them one of each of everything being sold on the beach. Darting from ocean to parents to vendor to the makeshift shower. Never tiring in the midday sun. Watching the different interactions and different body shapes and varying degrees of `coverage´kept my mind off the sun searing my pale norte skin.

The food vendors gave us no reason to leave our chairs. Who doesn´t want to feast on grilled cheese (only cheese, no bread) served on a stick all day long? I love days where all my food is served on sticks. Just think of the water I saved the world by not having any dirty dishes. Serving food on sticks is something we might want to consider in the US as a way to save the planet. Sticks and siestas. Yes. I will write my senador as soon as I return.

There is much to write but really how exciting is it to hear about our trips to the beach, all day, everyday while most of you are sitting in the cold, snow-covered Norte? I will spare you.

One thing I forgot to write earlier: In Puerto Iguazu, Argentina we got into a taxi that was brand new. I glanced around and noticed that all the taxis in that town were shiny. I asked the driver if everyone drives new cars in that town and he said, ´Well some are, I suppose.´ I explained, Well, we´ve just come from Paraguay and his response-a hearty laugh! Which so much sums up how everyone outside of Paraguay feels towards Paraguay. Pobre anga che Paraguay.

No comments:

Post a Comment