Tuesday, December 30, 2008

La Farra en Omnibus

Blogging in the developing world sucks! (I´m not sure Rio is considered developing but...) I somehow erased the entire blog I wrote about our trip to Rio. But I will start again. Today is a new day. MF. I guess it was good that I was just practising my swearing in several languages to prepare me for the moment my thoughts disappeared to cyber-world. BLEEP!

Fortunately, we are in Rio de Janeiro and life is good. Yesterday we got off a 24 hour bus ride delight, showered and headed to Copa, Copacabana...It may be touristy but there is a reason for that. It is freaking beautiful. And a short walk from our $250 a night 2 star hotel! Hooray! I plan to spend all of my time on the beach. Drinking. Sister can go to Christ the Redeemer to give Jesus a high five or float up Sugar Loaf Mountain but I will be drinking on the beach.

We are getting our Internet fix in the subway station in downtown Rio. Then we will decide between the rooftop pool or going to a beach. It doesn´t feel like New Years Eve eve and it beats the hell out of malls in Asuncion.

The bus ride was a long one but deliciously fun. We got on the bus in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina. It was a double-decker with lots of space. Sister and I couldn´t sit together at first but she sat next to a nice, young German named Lily. I sat next to several young Argentine men who I knew were trouble. But the fun kind of trouble. The border portion of the trip took almost an hour-exiting one country and entering another with a bus full of folks from many different countries takes a long time. As we left the Brazilian checkpoint the Argentinos broke out their guitarra and didgeridoo and starting singing. They knew a wide range of songs, including some in Spanish, English (I Want to Break Free) and lots of Tribalistas and Manu Chao. Fortunately they were good.

Lily agreed to switch seats with me and soon I was teaching Kristie how to play Truco (card game) as 4 Argentines played Truco in front of us with a concert happening behind us. Several passengers (most traveling from Asuncion) got off at Iguazu Falls on the Brasil side. The bus never filled up again.

We chatted with the folks around us and when we stopped for dinner we had several new friends. We had some beer with dinner (at a truck stop with a buffet that you pay by the weight of your plate) and we decided to buy a few beers for the road. But we were under prepared as the Argentinian trouble makers brought two cases for a full on Farra! Kids from `downstairs´ came to the party and the beers were gulped and the music played.

Sister sat in disbelief. She assumed everyone must have known each other before. I explained that this is how it goes and why it is so fun to travel. Especially when you´re young-you make new friends from all over the world. We were, by far, the old ones. At least the old ones at the bus party!

As beers were emptied a showdown between Brasilian bravado and Argentine machismo erupted. Are Brasilians or Argentinos better kissers? They asked Kristie. She shrugged: I don´t understand. A cute little Brasilian explained. She nodded-I understand what you are asking. He understood that he had permission. He dove in for a kiss. The chanting began. Brasil! Brasil! Now an Argentine. And before Kristie could react she got a kiss from an Argentine. Then another Brasilian. Then another Argentine. Well, which is it? Brasil or Argentina? Only she can tell. But will she?

Eventually the farra slowed down and we fell asleep one by one. We arrived at the Rio terminal just before noon and said goodbye to our new friends. It was amazing to get on a bus and not know anyone and get off with new friends. We kissed goodbye (cheeks only this time) and headed to our hotel.

Now we are in Rio. Settled and ready to party. Yesterday we sat on the beach and drank beers and got a sweet little perfect afternoon buzz. Today we got up early and walked most of Copacabana. Now we are headed to a new beach after we get some food at McDonalds. Yeah right, yeah right. Not now, not never. No way. (I haven´t been able to quote the lizard since I left Timo in Asuncion so I had to here...)

Hope all is well wherever this finds you!

2 comments:

  1. oh. it's steph. your little sister. i'm re jealous. i lived a year in argentina and didn't make a single argentine friend. i fail.

    ReplyDelete